The best baby food is fresh, homemade food that is made with whole, unprocessed ingredients. Homemade baby food allows you to control the ingredients and ensure that your baby is getting the nutrients they need. Some good options for baby food include:
- Pureed fruits such as apples, pears, peaches, and bananas.
- Pureed vegetables such as sweet potatoes, carrots, and green beans.
- Pureed or mashed legumes like lentils, chickpeas, or beans.
- Pureed or mashed meats such as chicken, turkey, or beef.
- Homemade baby cereal made from whole grains such as oats, quinoa, or barley.
It is important to introduce a variety of flavors and textures to babies as they begin to eat solid foods, and to avoid adding salt, sugar, or other seasoning to their food. It’s also important to check with your pediatrician before introducing any new foods to your baby, especially if there is a family history of allergies.
As the baby grows and start to eat more solid foods, you can also offer them small pieces of soft fruits and vegetables, small amounts of pasta, cheese, yogurt, and soft-cooked eggs. It’s also important to remember that babies need to be fed based on their hunger, not on schedule or routine, and it’s also important to trust your baby’s natural instincts to eat what they need.